Monday, March 29, 2010

Hooray!


I received a most unexpected phone call this morning - my entry has finalled in the Romance Writers of Australia First Kiss Competition! I'm absolutely thrilled. The final judge is Sally Williamson at HMB.

It's the first competition I've entered with my new manuscript, and just the confidence boost I needed after tying myself in knots second guessing and doubting myself (rather than just writing!) after my R.

I'm particularly thrilled that this means I get to erase my fashion faux pas of the RWAus Awards Dinner in 2007 where I accepted my First Chapter Competition win wearing jeans (<-- there I am). I'd had no idea what a big, formal do the awards night was (*blushes*). It was my first conference... but still!

Good luck to the other finalists - Christien Hickey, Bec Sampson (TWICE!) Rebecca Skrabl and Alli Withers.


I've got a few other entries in contests floating around at the moment - since the 2007 award I'd only entered one competition (had a big break from writing), but having contest deadlines is really helping my motivation


I've had mixed results in competitions - but I figure it's a great way to get in front of editors. Have you entered competitions? Do you find them useful?



8 comments:

  1. Excellent news. Go Leah go! Luv Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look wonderful in that pic Leah - as always! And I have no doubt you'll look stunning again at Coogee! Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Caroline and Janette! It's very exciting.

    Rach - you are so sweet! Can't wait until conference :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leah,

    Spotted you on my blog and headed over to say Hi!

    lol about accepting your award in jeans, that is SO the sort of mistake I would make too.

    Congrats on making the finals for the comp, lots of luck. Totally agree about competitions being a great way to get your work in front of the right people, they are gold dust.
    Which line are you aiming for?

    Jo
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo, thanks for visiting! I'm targeting Romance/Sweet.

    Congrats on your IHP win, that's a fantastic (huge!) contest to do so well in.

    ReplyDelete