Monday, March 22, 2010

One hell of a storm!

Here are a couple of photos I took on my phone on the way home from work today. I had cycled to work, but my partner came and picked me up when I heard the extreme weather warnings on the radio. He brought the dogs so they wouldn't be frightened at home. My dog curled up in the foot rest, poor thing was terrified of the thunder - I reckon the lightening must have been right above my work, I've never heard anything so loud!

Perth isn't exactly known for these types of storms, I've never seen anything like it. Was very glad I didn't have to drive home, visibility was almost zero with the horizontal rain. We turned around twice due to flooding, although some people still drove straight through tyre deep water. We saw other cars stranded surrounded by water, so we weren't game to risk it.

To make things even more dramatic, tonight the ceiling collapsed at work! Fortunately no one was hurt, but the department is closed. I've just had to call my team to tell them all to stay home tomorrow, but I'll be in to help assess the damage and put in place our continuity plan. I'm hoping my bike is okay!

I've been looking at photos of some of the hail damage across Perth - feeling very very lucky.

Have you experienced a storm like this (or worse) before?

1 comment:

  1. I'm on Perth too. And that storm kind of snuck up on us. I still can't get over all the hail damaged cars around.

    ReplyDelete